Help Contents

Overview

Quick Start Guide

Portfolio Lists

Portfolios

Attributes

Prioritization

Optimization

Bubble Charts

Bar Charts

Ranking Charts

Efficient Frontier Charts

Sensitivity Charts

Menus

The Efficient Frontier Chart Preferences Form

Form Overview

This form is opened by clicking on the [Modify] button at the bottom of a displayed Efficient Frontier Chart form.

Use this form to customize the appearance and change data attributes of your Efficient Frontier charts. The form has six tabs for setting different preferences: Display, Portfolio Views, Background, Grids, Legend, and Fonts.

Scroll down or click on the links below to go directly to the tab information:

Display Tab

Portfolio Views Tab

Background Tab

Legend Tab

Grids Tab

Fonts Tab

Bottom Buttons

Display Tab:

Attribute Selection:

X-Axis Attribute pop-up menu: Select the X-axis attribute parameter from this list in this pop-up menu.

Y-Axis Attribute pop-up menu: Select the Y-axis attribute parameter from this list in this pop-up menu.

Frontier Line Display Group box:

[Display Efficient Frontier Line] Checkbox: Check this box to display the efficient frontier line

[Display High/Low Frontiers] Checkbox: Check this box to display the maximum and minimum efficient frontier lines

[Higher Y/X Ratio is Best] Checkbox: Check this box if you want to use the ratio of Y/X to calculate the efficient frontier

[Use the Bubble Colors for Points] Checkbox: Check this box to use the colors assigned to the projects for the line points, otherwise the points are the color of the line

Frontier Line Width popup menu: Select the frontier line width in pixels

[Hide All Frontier Project Names] radio button: Click this button to hide the project names

[Show High Frontier Project Names] radio button: Click this button to display the project names along the high (maximum) frontier line

[Show Middle Frontier Project Names] radio button: Click this button to display the project names along the middle (most-likely) frontier line

[Show Low Frontier Project Names] radio button: Click this button to display the project names along the low (mninimum) frontier line

Portfolio View Display Group box:

These checkboxes control the what data is displayed using the uncertainty lines with the Portfolio View bubbles. These objects are disabled unless the Uncertainty Tracking is enabled in the Portfolio Preferences.

[Maximum and Minimum] Checkbox: Check this box to display the maximum and minimum of the Y-axis attribute for each displayed Portfolio View

[Median, 10% and 90% Bars] Checkbox: This is only enabled if the Median SMART Score is being charted in the Y-axis. The error bars display the 90% and 10% limits. The 10% value is where the probability of the actual SMART score being less than the 10% value is 10%. The 90% value is where the probability of the actual SMART score being greater than the 90% value is 10%. Therefore, there is an 80% probability that the actual SMART score is between the 10% and 90% values.

Histogram illustrating the 90% and 10% Probability Points: There is an 80% probability that the actual values is between the 10% and 90% lines.

[Mean and Std. Deviation] Checkbox: This is only enabled if the Mean SMART Score is being charted in the Y-axis. When this box is checked, the error bars display the number of standard deviations selected in the "No. of Sigmas" popup menu.

No. of Sigmas: popup menu: This is only enabled if the Mean SMART Score is being charted in the respective axis and the "Display Std. Deviation Bars" checkbox is checked. When this box is checked, the error bars display the number of standard deviations selected in the "No. of Sigmas" popup menu.

Histogram illustrating the Mean and Standard Deviation Points: There is a 68.2% probability that the actual values is between the +1 and -1 sigma values, a 95.4% probability that the actual values is between the +2 and -2 sigma values, and a 99.6% probability that the actual values is between the +3 and -3 sigma values.

Portfolio Views Tab:

Portfolio Views Display Preferences:

[Display Portfolio View as 3D Objects] checkbox: When this checkbox is selected, Portfolio View bubbles are displayed with a 3D spherical look.

Portfolio Views Bubble Scale pop-up menu: This allows you to uniformly shrink or expand the size of all of the Portfolio View bubbles from 20% to 200% of their default size.

[Display Portfolio View Name] check box: This displays the name of the Portfolio View in the center of the bubble corresponding to the name in the legend. Note that Portfolio View bubble names will overlap in crowded charts.

[Use Assigned Color/Pattern] radio button: This displays Portfolio View bubbles with their assigned color-patterns.

[Select Same Color] radio button: This displays Portfolio View bubbles with a single color assigned using the system color-picker.

[% Opacity] slider and field: You can adjust the bubble transparency by using the % Opacity slider or entering the value directly in the field. "100%" is nor transparency and "0%" is completely transparent (invisible). Note that best transparency effects are obtained using a light background and drop shadows are turned off.

[Blinking Time (seconds)] slider and field: You can adjust the Portfolio View bubble blinking time by setting the Blinking Time Slider. Higher blink times indicate longer intervals between blinks.

Uncertainty Bar Display Preferences Group Box:

Bar Width popup menu: This allows you to select the width (thickness) of the uncertainty bars in pixels.

[Use View Colors For Bars] radio button: When this radio box is checked the uncertainty bars are drawn with the same color as the bubble.

[Use a Selected Color for Bars] radio button: When this radio box is checked the uncertainty bars are drawn with the color selected using the color-picker button to the right of this button.

Back to top

Background Tab:

Color and Background Preferences:

[Background Color] selection: Click this square to open the system Color Picker form to select the background color for the chart.

[Foreground Color] selection: Click this square to open the system Color Picker form to select the foreground color for the chart. This color is used for the chart text and axes.

[Grid line color] pop-up menu: Use this menu to select the grid line colors. Gridlines can be black, grey, light grey, white or match the selected foreground color.

Gradient Type pop-up menu: Use this menu to select the type of gradient that you want in the background. "None" displays the background as a solid color corresponding to the selected Background Color. Selecting the other options draws a gradient in the background beginning with the background color and transitioning to the gradient color. The figure below displays example gradients corresponding to different menu selections. The gradients shown start with a dark-blue background color and transitioning to a light-blue gradient color.

[Gradient Color] selection: Click this square to open the system Color Picker form to select the second color for the gradient. The first color is the background color. The background color will transition to the gradient color.

Background Picture:

[Use Picture in Chart] check box: Check this box to have the selected picture display in the background of the bubble chart area.

[Use Picture in Legend] check box: Check this box to have the selected picture display in the background of the bubble chart legend area.

[Picture Fill] slider: Use this slider to lighten or darken the selected picture image. Sliding to the left lightens the image and sliding to the right darken the image.

[Picture Fill] field: Use this field to lighten or darken the selected picture image. Values 0 to 99 lighten the image and values 101 - 200 darken the image.

Thumbnail Preview: This displays a thumbnail of the picture selected as the background picture.

[Select Picture] button: Click this button to open the Background Picture Selection form to select or import a new background picture.

Back to top

Legends Tab:

Legend Display Preferences:

Legend Location pop-up menu: This allows you to set the location of the legend area in the bubble chart form.

[Hide Legend] check box: Check this button to hide the legend area in the bubble chart form.

[Display in Chart Area] check box: Check this button to display the legend in the chart area on the bubble chart form. When unchecked, the legend is displayed in a separate area on the bubble chart form.

Legend Borderline pop-up menu: This allows you to select a borderline style for the legend area in the bubble chart form.

Legends to Display Group Box:

Portfolio View Legend Only radio button: Click this button to only display the Portfolio View legend in the legend area on the chart form.

Portfolio View and Project Legends radio button: Click this button to only display both the Portfolio View legend and the Projects legend.

Back to top

Grids Tab:

Ticks, Gridlines, Borders, and Labels Group Box

[Show Axis Ticks] check boxes: Select these check boxes to toggle the display of the axis' ticks. Checking these boxes causes the X- or Y-axis ticks to be displayed. Un-checking these boxes will also cause the Show X-Axis Tick Labels and Show Y-Axis Tick Labels to become unchecked; however, these can be re-checked if you want to display the ticks without the labels. The default condition for both of these preferences is checked.

[Show Axis Tick Labels] check boxes: Select these check boxes to toggle the display of the respective axis’ tick labels. Checking these boxes causes the X- or Y-axis tick labels to be displayed. It will also cause the Show X-Axis Ticks and Show Y-Axis Ticks check boxes to become checked because the axis tick labels cannot be displayed without the axis ticks. The default condition for both these preferences is checked.

[Show Axis grid lines] check boxes: Select these check boxes to toggle the display of the axis’ grid lines. Checking these boxes causes the X- or Y-axis grid lines to be displayed. The default condition for both of these preferences is checked.

[Number of Axis Ticks] check boxes: Use these pop-up menus to select the number of ticks and/or grid lines, up to 20, to be displayed. The default value for both these preferences is five.

[Axis Significant Figures] check boxes: Use these pop-up menus to select the number of decimal point figures to be displayed. You can select up to seven significant figures to be displayed. The default value for both of these preferences is one.

Other Display Preferences:

[Hide Axis] radio buttons: Check these buttons to hide the corresponding axis. This will only be visible if the [Display Chart Borders] check box is not checked. If axes' ticks and labels, if visible, will be displayed along the chart borders.

[Use Assigned Formats in Tick Labels] check box: Select this box to include the formatting assigned to the attribute column in the Attribute form in the tick labels.

[Hide Chart Title] check box: Check this box to hide the chart title.

[Display Chart Borders] check box: Select this box to display the chart borders and grid lines. Note that the chart grid lines cannot be displayed without the borders.

Gridline Color: popup menu: Select the gridline color.

Back to top

Fonts Tab:

The Font Preferences is the second tabbed page of the Chart Preferences form. It allows you to control the size, type and style (plain, bold, or italic) of the chart fonts. Use the Size pop-up menus to set the font size and the Type pop-up menus to set the font type. Check the [Bold and/or Italic] check boxes for bold and/or italic font styles, respectively.

Back to top

Chart Preference Form Buttons:

[Save]: Click on this button to save any changes made to the Chart Preferences, close the form, and redraw the chart.

[Cancel]: Click on this button to close the Chart Preferences form. No changes will be saved.

[Save As Default]: Click on this button to save your current settings as the Chart Preference Default Values. All new charts will then use these settings.

[Restore Defaults]: Click on this button to restore all of the last saved Chart Preference Default Values to the current form.

Back to top